Tuesday, September 4, 2007

bienvenido a mexico

Well, I got to Mexico on Saturday. My trip was good, except for waiting for the girl from our program that I was supposed to meet in the airport in Mexico City, who I ended up waiting for for two hours, then finally found out that she had the flu and had changed her flight to Monday. Then two hours later I was able to get to the bus station to take the four hour bus ride to Irapuato. I ended up getting in a little after 1:00 in the morning. Thankfully, Angela, the girl I was supposed to meet, came in yesterday without any problems.
Now all four of us are here. We're having a great time together, laughing a lot and enjoying being here. Today we're finally going out to the villages for the first time to meet our host families and our students. Our job this week is to find out who is still going to be a student and if any of them need to take tests. Then we'll be back here in the city sometime Friday night, probably to leave at 2:00 am on Saturday to take a trip to Guadalajara to attend the temple there with other members of the Church from here in Irapuato.
Good news: the hotel we're staying at here in the city has wireless internet. The other three people I'm with all brought their computers. It appears that I'm the only one that was too scared to bring mine. Oh well. Thankfully they're letting me use their computers.
Being here in Mexico reminds me a whole lot of my mission in Venezuela. A lot of things are similar. And so I keep saying that such and such is just like in Venezuela, or it's a little different than things in Venezuela. No one has complained yet that I'm getting too nostalgic, though it's kind of getting on my nerves that I keep recalling my mission. Not that that's bad at all, but I'm not a missionary here and I want to enjoy Mexico for Mexico, not for being like Venezuela. Does that make sense?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes it makes sense, you're funny. i'm so proud of you! and extremelyyyyyy jealous!!!! have a good time, and keep me posted!! next semester, i swear we'll get together :)
ttyl mateo!

Jon Becca James said...

Thanks for making a blog! Oops, James just woke up, I better go! Love, Becca

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your companions are letting you use their computers and that you're doing the blog. I'll look forward to checking in on how things are going. I'm happy for your that you're having some fun already and the trip is off to a good start. I think it's natural to compare a new country to one you already know - you just happen to know one that's similar. Enjoy and keep blogging. Love, Aunt Wendy

Anonymous said...

¡Hola, Matt!
¡Qué bueno que te encuentres allá en México! Me da orgullo que uno de mis alumnos tenga la compasión de ayudar a unos de nuestros amigos hispanos.

So, what's shaking in Guanajuato?

Tu maestro de español,

Mike S.

Anonymous said...

Oops!

Se me olvidó desearte un Feliz Día de Independencia! Espero que comas un mole poblano para mí.

MS